Kayal Osteoporosis Center
Symptomless in its early stages, osteoporosis is a treacherous disease that sneaks up on patients—and often advances rapidly. The NJ osteoporosis specialists at Kayal Osteoporosis Center are adept at evaluating disease risk, and will recommend the lab and bone density testing necessary for early detection and management.
To diagnose bone disease, Dr. Robert A. Kayal, MD and his team begin by taking a thorough medical history. To better assess your osteoporosis risk, doctors may inquire about:
- Age and gender
- Testosterone levels (men)
- Menstrual regularity or age of menopause (women)
- Smoking and drinking habits
- Dietary habits or eating disorders
- Daily intake of calcium and vitamin D
- Physical activity patterns
- Family and personal history of bone fractures
Providing your physician with accurate answers to these questions can help Kayal Osteoporosis Center determine your risk for the disease. After learning more about your health and lifestyle, Dr. Kayal and his team may recommend one or more of the following:
- Physical examination. During the exam, your physician may measure your height and compare it to your height history, assess spinal curves or check for additional symptoms.
- Measuring bone mineral density. Unfortunately, regular x-rays cannot diagnose bone disease until it has advanced to 30 percent or more. Bone mineral density testing is the industry standard for detecting osteoporosis or low bone densities. The painless test analyzes current bone density and estimates the chance of future fractures. There are several types of bone density tests, and Dr. Kayal and his colleagues can recommend the best option for you.
- Additional tests. Depending upon your individual symptoms or history, our osteoporosis experts may also recommend bone biopsy, blood tests or urine tests to gather more data about your condition.
To schedule your osteoporosis exam, speak to a Kayal Osteoporosis Center representative or inquire about bone density testing, contact our Ridgewood, NJ or Franklin Lakes, NJ offices today.